Friday, July 20, 2007

Monochromatic Sealife

Today's SCS challenge was to make a monochromatic card. The catch? No embelishments!

That's a tough one for me because I almost always use ribbon, brads, primas, or something on my cards. I started out with this card but somewhere in the process I got excited using my new Blue Bayou paper and tied on my SU double stitched blue bayou ribbon. When I went to add the whale panel I realized that I had messed up by having an embelishment...I just went ahead and added the brads and decided to start over on the challenge.
Stamps: Silly Sealife
Paper: Not quite Navy, Blue Bayou, Soft Sky, Whisper White
Ink: wild wasabi
Accessories: brads, sponge, glitter, ribbon, cuttlebug
This is the card I made next. It fits the challenge perfectly and I am happy with it. The trick to making a great card with out embelishments is lots of layers and texture. I embossed the large sky blue with my cuttlebug embossing folder and then sponged Wasabi ink over the top. I used Itty Bitty Background dot stamp on the little sky blue panel. I was up to 5 layers of cardstock by then! The whale was punched out with the Giga scallop punch by Marvy and then raised up with dimensionals on top of the two layerd ovals...can you say 8 layer card? No embelishments...but really cute!
Stamps: Silly Sealife, Itty Bitty Backgrounds
Ink: Wild Wasabi
Paper: Not quite Navy, Wild Wasabi, Sky Blue, Whisper White
Accessories: Cuttlebug embossing folder, scallop oval punch, oval cutter




3 comments:

Alhambra Club said...

These are just too cute, love them both.

Corie said...

ooooo love the whale cards!!! love the colors, but then again I always love your color choices!!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love these two cards. All the texture looks amazing on them