Monday, March 16, 2009

Whale Done!


My son Garret is 14 years old and an avid trumpet player. He is really good and wants to major in music and play professionally in the future. I know...I sound like a braggy mom but I'm not. My daughter plays several instruments and I can tell you that the talent and dedication level is WAY different in her! Garret has won several soloist awards at Jazz festivals and he was in the California All State Band for two years in Middle School. I tell you this to set you up for this year.

His first year in High School has been a struggle for him and his music. He made it in the top concert band and as lead trumpet in the top Jazz Band when he auditioned last June. Then in August came the dreaded braces!!! For the first week after he got them on he couldn't even make a sound come out of his horn. I have seen many kids give up on their music when they got braces or back burner it for a while. But not Garret! He didn't make it into the All State band this year, though his sister and his best friend did. He didn't get mad. He was happy for them and worked even harder.

He has persevered and worked his butt off! He has played through torn up lips and sore mouths and has kept up with with a two hour per day practice schedule. (His idea-not ours!) Well, after not making the All State Band he decided in February to send in an audition CD for the Cal Poly University All State Jazz Band. We just got the news on Friday that he made lead! I am just so happy for him. Proud that he's a great trumpet player but even more proud of his hard work dedication and his support of his best friends successes even while he struggled!

So, I made this card for him and tried to put all that into words. The whale is from High Hopes Stamps and the sentiment is from the $1 bin at Michael's.

Hope I didn't bore you to death with my Mama pride but sometimes you just gotta toot!

See you tomorrow!

No comments: