Friday, September 7, 2007

Kick Up Those Old Cards

You know you have it...that box full of old cards that you made when you first started stamping. It's hidden away somewhere. You won't send them out to anyone and you can't possibly throw them away. You spent time on those cards. You spent money on the cardstock.

I've got that box too. It's fun to look at those cards and see how my stamping has progressed over the last few years. I am going to share some of those cards with you over the next few weeks. But I have decided that I am going to re-work my old cards to make them "mail worthy". Hopefully, I'll inspire you to challenge yourself to find that old box of cards and "kick them up" so you can send them out as RAK's to your friends and family!

This was a card I did at a workshop when I first became an SU demo. It is still a nice, cute card, but a little simple for my taste. Here is the new "kicked up card".


I trimmed the cuttlebugged the blue strip and green panel to add some interest with texture. Then I punched out the sentiment with my oval punch. I stamped the same sentiment on a white scrap and attached it behind the green panel, showing through the punched oval. Then I trimmed the entire card down and put it on a Brilliant blue card to add another layer. Finally, I added one more layer to the main image, trimmed with scallop scissors, and attached it to the card with pop dots for one more added layer of interest. Still the same card, but better!





Stamps: Stampin' Up!
Paper: Green Galore, Gable Green, white, Brilliant Blue
Ink: Green Galore, Brilliant Blue, summer sun, black
Accessories: oval punch, cuttlebug embossing folders, pop dots, scallop edged scissors

7 comments:

Alhambra Club said...

Great card, but your pumped up verison is fantastic.

Jillabella said...

LOVE IT!!! What a great idea!! I totally have that exact box and I think you have given me my weekend project! :)

Unknown said...

What a great feature Kristine - we all have those boxes. I love what you did with this card - looks terrific!!

Rochelle W said...

I liked the old card but I love the new one. Great job "kickin' it up" Can I bring my box of cards over???? LOL

Doris said...

oooh--could you do some more of those makeovers??? The original card was nice, but the new one just has that zing! Great job!!

Anonymous said...

I am loving the way you share your know-how in kicking up our cards to the next level! keep those coming, they really do inspire me! Beautiful card - I think I may just have to order that fabulous flower set next:) TFS!

Anonymous said...

Very cute idea, love both cards, but your skill and design has improved. Thanks for the inspiration!